If you've been involved in a car accident and sustained injuries, it's crucial to take certain steps to protect yourself legally and physically. Here are some key actions to consider:
- Seek Medical Attention: Your health and well-being should be the top priority. Even if you don't believe your injuries are severe, it's essential to get a medical evaluation. Some injuries may not show immediate symptoms, and early detection can prevent further complications.
- Report the Accident: Contact the police and file an accident report. This documentation will be crucial for insurance claims and legal purposes.
- Preserve Evidence: If possible, keep any damaged property or objects related to the accident, as they may serve as evidence later on.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Inform your insurance provider about the accident promptly. You are entitled to medical treatment and wage loss benefits from your own company known as personal injury protection benefits.
- Follow Medical Advice: Adhere to all prescribed medical treatments and attend follow-up appointments so that you have the best chance of recovering from your injuries.
- Don't Rush Settlements: You may not know the full extent of your injuries for several months. The insurance company's offer may not adequately compensate you for the full extent of your injuries and damages.
Remember, every car accident case is unique, so if you are unsure of what to do or need legal advice, consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can provide tailored advice based on the specific details of your situation. They can help you navigate the legal process and pursue the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses. Don't forget that Spigarelli Law practices in both Kansas and Missouri and we always offer FREE case reviews.